Empowering changemakers to gain the capabilities, knowledge, and network to drive social and environmental impact in their communities.
Dear aspiring change-makers,
Are you passionate about business and solving a social issue? Do you want to learn how to combine business skills and social impact to address a social challenge in your community?
If so, the Al Jisr Social Entrepreneurship Fellowship is for you!
We are thrilled to announce the launch of the Al Jisr- Social Entrepreneurship Fellowship, a 9-month online program that combines learning on social entrepreneurship skills, experience-sharing with successful social entrepreneurs and industry leaders, mentorship and networking with fellows like-minded entrepreneurs. In addition, fellows will have the opportunity to pitch their business ideas to solve a social issue and the best ones will receive seed money and incubation to turn their ideas into reality.
Participants will engage in a transformative learning experience, gaining insights into social entrepreneurship, leadership, and sustainable development to create meaningful social and environmental impact.
This program is right for you IF:
- You have identified a social or environmental problem and have an idea about how to tackle it
- You want to turn your innovative idea to solve a social issue into a sustainable business and have thought about how it could make money
- You can commit to a 9 months online learning program from December to June 2024
Wait first, social entrepreneurship, what is it?
Social entrepreneurship is a form of entrepreneurship that focuses on creating and implementing innovative solutions to address social and environmental issues. Unlike traditional entrepreneurship, where the primary goal is profit, social entrepreneurship places a strong emphasis on generating positive social impact.
For decades, communities have relied on the government and NGOs to solve social problems such as poor nutrition, education, shortage of water, deforestation, inadequate healthcare, income inequality, etc. Changemaking is the idea that, in collaboration with others, every person can apply creative solutions to address social problems in their communities. We transit from an old centralized model into an Everyone can be a Changemaker world. It is not longer the prerogative of institutions. Everyone has the potential to be a change-maker and can do it. It places the individual at the center of the community as a constructive, active agent of change.
It breaks the traditional old top-down model of action in which only institutions, the state, the elderly, community leaders, and businesses can intervene and solve problems. Here you don’t need to ask or wait for others to solve an issue, but rather you take the initiative and work to address the issue.
You are the changemaker. You have the power and the right to look for a solution and participate in solving it.
The rise of social entrepreneurship reflects a growing sense that many of the most promising solutions to global problems don’t necessarily depend on action by large institutions, governments, or foundations. They come from individuals at the grassroots level willing to bring entrepreneurial thinking to solve some of the toughest social problems.
By joining the program, you will:
- Develop your skills in business and social innovation approaches as well as increase your skills in problem-solving, impact, and leadership and increase your understanding of tackling social issues.
- Be a part of a dynamic innovative network of social entrepreneurs who are working together to use business skills to solve a social issue.
- Earn a participation certificate.
- Pitch your project and receive seed funding for the creation of your social impact projects.
- Get recognition and visibility for outstanding projects through our network
- Am I qualified?
Al Jisr Fellows are selected based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated dedication and commitment to building a social business and solving a social issue in their community;
- Willingness to receive professional guidance and to work hard to grow and develop their social business;
- What do I need to follow the fellowship?
You need a good internet connection to be able to follow twice a month an online webinar as well as to join and engage with a group on an online platform.
- Do I have to pay to be an Al Jisr Entrepreneur Fellow?
No, there is no financial cost for the social entrepreneurship program.
- When does the program start?
The program runs for 9 months. It starts in December 2023 and ends in August 2024.
- How is the program structured?
The program is entirely online and delivered through two webinars a month, one session on social entrepreneurships skills and one with an entrepreneur guest who will be sharing their experience and lessons learned. All fellows will be part of a community of entrepreneurs and join an online group to exchange with peer entrepreneurs.
- What is expected from the fellows?
The fellows are expected to attend both online monthly sessions and to actively interact in the online group of peer entrepreneurs.
- Who are the mentors?
The mentors are experienced professionals from established organizations who will closely work with the Al Jisr social entrepreneurs to develop their full potential.
- How much time will I need to dedicate to the program?
Though it may vary throughout the program, the program takes, on average, 1 to 2 hours per week – however, this is slightly variable depending on your own speed, interest, and the activities of the program.
- What happens if I cannot follow through with my responsibilities?
We understand that fellows experience different circumstances and are faced with individual personal challenges, however we expect each fellow to find solutions to take part in the two monthly online sessions and be active in the online group. If the fellow doesn’t comply, we will remove them from the program and the network.
- What will I learn from the fellowship?
Fellows will build their knowledge and capability across the following areas:
- Business and leadership skills (design thinking, business planning, measuring impact…)
- Tackling a social issue and sustainable development
- Achieving, measuring and sharing impact
- Learning from failure and building resilience, teamwork
How to apply?
We invite motivated Yemeni students to apply for this fellowship by submitting their applications through our online application form. To be eligible, applicants must be enrolled in a university or higher education institution in Yemen. The application process will require a resume, and a brief outline of a social impact project idea.
- Women and students living with disabilities and in rural areas are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Have an innovative solution or social entrepreneurship idea/project that contributes to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 2030 Agenda.
- Highly motivated and interested in social change.
- The ability to commit within the programme period (December – August 2024).
Applications will be reviewed by the program committee, and successful candidates will be selected based on their passion, creativity, and potential for impact.
Need more info?
You can reach out to us with your questions or requests for more information. Please email us at X and we’ll get back to you.
Application Period: [Start Date] - [End Date]
Review and Selection: [Selection Period]
Fellowship Commencement: [Start Date]
Fellowship Conclusion: [End Date]
We believe that the power to create positive change lies within the hearts and minds of the youth. Join us in building a community of social entrepreneurs committed to making a lasting impact in Yemen. Don't miss this chance to be part of something extraordinary.
Apply now and be the change you wish to see in the world!
Yemeni Youth Student